Thursday, August 25, 2016

And Now, The Final Word from The Supreme Court



And Now, The Final Word




I just returned from teaching another lesson at The Shepherd's House here in Bend. I love the time I get to spend at "The House"  because the men have become my friends and brothers in Christ. The Shepherd's House is a unique, faith-based residential recovery program. "The House", as we call it, was once a woolen mill the early days of Bend. The ministry is truly "grace based", because unconditional love and acceptance is the heart of the recovery "program". Most of the men have never experienced unconditional love or grace.

Recently I have been leading studies through the book of Daniel. My original intent was to just cover the first six chapters that are filled with familiar stories like the fiery furnace and a lion's den. I wondered how the last six chapters that contain prophecy could be relevant to the men seeking recovery from chemical addictions etc. But, being a retired pastor who has always preferred preaching through a book, it was difficult to toss aside the last six chapters of Daniel. So, yes, you guessed it- we waded  into the prophetic chapters where I discover a universal principle that is still relevant today. That is the point of this blog.

First, a little disclaimer. Prophecy was not included in Scripture to give us a sneak preview about the future or to provide fodder for theological debates. Prophecy, I believe, is meant to motivate us to godly living and deeper faith. Most, if not every, prophetic utterance in the Bible is preceded by or followed by a "therefore"- that is a practical application such as "therefore pray" or "therefore be holy."

Daniel seven and eight include visions that Daniel received about four successive world empires that would rise to world dominance only to fall and be replaced. The visions use animals to describe each successive empire. For example, Babylon was "like a lion". The lion was the national symbol for Babylon. As strong and proud as Babylon was, it fell to the Medes and Persians who were symbolized by a bear. You can read these chapters in Daniel for yourself, but the essence of the vision was that Babylon would be replaced by Persian empire who would then fall to the Alexander the Great and the Greeks. Alexander would die without an heir, and his kingdom would be divided into four parts ruled by four generals. A Greek ruler, Antiochus IV, would invade Jerusalem and defile the temple. Daniel's prophecy  not only predicted the invasion but also the length of time Antiochus Epiphanes would be permitted to defile the temple before the Maccabees liberated Jerusalem. The Greeks eventually fell to Rome just as God had revealed to Daniel.

Now, if Daniel 7-8 were a history lesson we could ask, " what is so special about the Bible?" But, if I take the Bible literally (and I have no reason not to), Daniel wrote hundreds of years before some of these events happened! Greece did not exist as a nation, yet it is actually named by Daniel! The details about the invasion of Antiochus IV include information one could not know in advance unless the author was also in control of history- if it is actually was His Story.

So that leads me to the obvious question: "What does all this have to do with me today? What does it have to do with the men at the Shepherd's House?"

I love how Daniel reverts to poetry in 7:9:
"Thrones were set in place,
 and the Ancient of Days took His seat. 
His clothing was as white as snow;
 the hair of his head was white like wool. 
His throne was flaming with fire,
and its wheels were all ablaze. 
A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. 
Thousands upon thousands attended him; 
ten thousand times then thousand stood before Him. 
The court was seated
 and the books were opened."

If you are familiar with Scripture you note similar descriptions of God on the throne. Consider Revelation one and Ezekiel or the transfiguration of Christ. 

But, the words that fascinate me are the first two and last two lines of the poem that I have highlighted. Little men with big egos may sit on their thrones or behind the desk in the Oval Office and rule a limited kingdom for a limited time. They may rattle their sabers and boast their accomplishments, but each one dies and/or falls to another little man on his throne. But, the eternal God, the ruler of the universe, will upon a day take His seat on The Throne and the great judge will be seated to judge every man, woman boy or girl. Some of us will be rewarded; some may lose rewards and others lose their lives forever and ever. The Great Judge will have the final word. Finally, all the earth will be silent before Him. 

So what about me today? What do I take away from these chapters in Daniel? 

When I consider the choices of the major candidates for President of the United States, I don't want to vote for either. I don't want a President that will appoint more liberal justices to our Supreme Court. I say "our Supreme Court", because I realize their is a higher Court- The True Supreme Court. Some day, when the books are opened, five justices will need to answer for their decision that raped the the institution of marriage. Other justices will be accountable or legalizing infanticide in America. Today, more deaths are caused by abortion than any other reason. Yes, I don't want either candidate to win, but I can trust the God who has written the story. Perhaps America deserves less than desirable leaders. After all, such was the case in ancient Israel.

For the men at the Shepherd's House, I asked if they could trust God in their situations? Some need jobs. Some struggle with health issues. Some face a turbulent future without the support of family or friends. But, each of the men, and that includes me, can rest assured God will have the final word. 

Do I believe God is both kind and severe as Paul wrote? Do I believe He is in charge of my life now? Tomorrow? Am I at peace with knowing that He will have the final word?

1 comment:

  1. There many lessons from Daniel testimony that very relevant for all believers. What I take away from Daniel for me is that we face spiritual battles not of flesh and blood but spiritual. when Daniel was praying and the arch angle Micheal tells him he had to fight to get to him this brings resounding clarity that we as believers should be aware of.Daniel 10:12-14

    ReplyDelete