Monday, March 28, 2016

It Was All about Relationships

  

Welcome to my blog site. It is my desire to share insights that occasionally rise to the surface of my old brain and tarry for more than a few moments. It is my prayer that God will use these thoughts to encourage each of us. Some of you already know me. Perhaps I will meet new friends as well.

First, for those who do not know me, let me share a brief history. Yes, I am an old retired (really just retreaded) preacher. By the grace of God my wife, Mary, and I have served in local churches in Ohio and Oregon for over forty five years. The last ministry was here in Bend, Oregon at The Foundry Church (formerly First Baptist Church). I retired from the lead teaching pastor position February, 2014. Presently I am involved as a volunteer in several ministries both locally and abroad.

Today I was going through boxes and boxes of old files filled with sermon notes and theology class notes that I have taught. But, one particular folder that caught my attention a few hours ago. It was marked, “Keepers for Blue Mondays.” Over the years most pastors receive a few anonymous messages that are meant to hurt. Fortunately, I learned early on to throw them away. But, I have received more than my share of positive letters and notes. Some were so timely and encouraging that I kept them in my “Blue Monday” folder. When times got tough I would pull out a few "Blue Monday Letters just to be reminded that God had and was using our ministry to help transform lives and marriages.

As I was trying to clean out the folder because of the lack of space in my home office, my attention was captured by a few of the letters so I stopped to read them again. It was a valuable reminder that ministry is not about sermons but relationships. The encouraging messages were so diverse. Let me share a few examples.

I read a four page, handwritten letter from a man who had attended a church we pastured prior to coming to Bend. The writer asked for forgiveness for his actions that resulted in being placed under church discipline. His bitterness resulted in years of rebellion against God acted out in addictive behavior and even a suicide attempt. But, he wrote me to share his story and to thank me for the courage of carrying out the necessary discipline. He eventually entered into ministry with people struggling with addictions. As I read his letter today, I struggled with tears. But, they were tears of joy. It is all about relationships- caring enough to confront. I am now enjoying communication with my restored brother.

When I accepted the call to our former church in Portland I was warned by a person in a place of authority to watch out for a certain man in the church who would be a thorn in my flesh and who would resist anything we tried to change in the once thriving church that was now in death throes. In my “Blue Monday” folder I found four or five letters I kept from this gentleman who became a close friend and due to his age, a mentor to me. I read his letters today and was reminded that it really is about relationships. This man became the key change agent when we voted to sell the old run down building and relocate debt free in a brand new building. I am so glad I didn’t take the advice of the person who warned me to avoid this man. Let us never judge the book by its cover or by what a critic said about it.

Another emotional time for me this afternoon was reading a few of  close to a dozen letters and notes from a wonderful woman at Foundry Church. Margo was one of those people who experienced rejection and pain from peers as a child and adult due to a genetic disease that did not permit her to smile and left her physically disabled. But, the Margo we knew in our church family was beautiful. She was gifted with the ability to put words on paper so eloquently. Margo passed into the presence of her Lord a couple of years ago. When I officiated her memorial service I was able to preach by simply reading excerpts from her letters to me.

The music playing in the background as I write this is the song, “Better is One Day in Your Court than Thousands elsewhere.”  Tonight Margo is experiencing the lyrics of that song. I don’t know when we get our new bodies in heaven, but I am confident Margo is smiling in the presence of Jesus, the one person who always loved her and valued her as someone special. Again, reading the “Blue Monday” letters reminded me not to judge a person by appearance. Through my relationship as pastor and friend, I discovered one of the most intelligent, gifted and beautiful persons I have ever met.

So, as I reflect on 45 years of ministry, I can’t recall many sermons I preached (especially at my age I can easily forget what said a few minutes ago). But, I can recall hundreds of wonderful people who encouraged me by taking the time to drop a note or share a word of affirmation.

It really is all about relationships. Oh, how I wish I had realized that much, much earlier in the ministry.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Pastor, for reminding us how important are kind words in relationship to others. I don't think I have any letters in my keepsake box, but if I did I would hope to be encouraged by them, as you are. And, I'm glad you have this blog. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete